Meet the Baker
QHow long have you been baking?
I have been baking the basics since I was a kid.
QDo you follow the rules or freestyle?
I like to follow the rules when it comes to the science of baking. Things such as flour/fats/eggs/baking power can be tricky to fiddle with too much. I like to freestyle my flavours and textures -- that's where you really get to draw on the canvas.
QWhat is your number one tip for making successful loaves?
Use honey. It's magic.
QBeverage pairing for this loaf?
I enjoyed it with fresh elderflower apple juice.
Qif this loaf were a moment in time where would it be?
It reminds me of summer mornings in Santa Cruz, California.
QWho is going to win #GBBO?
Ian. Anyone who picks their own wild garlic has to have a shot at winning.
Mini Blueberry Morning Loaf
- 2 ½ cups or 300g flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup or 113g butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups or 284g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup or 90 grams oats
- 1 cup or 245g plain greek yogurt
- 2 cups or 300g fresh blueberries
- 2 cups or 400g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Vanilla bean
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/170°fan and prepare a mini loaf tin (can make mini loaf or muffins)
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest and whisk them together until smooth. Proceed to add oats.
- Stir in the dry ingredients into the batter half way and then add the plain yogurt.
- When the batter is smooth, fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into mini loaf or loaf tin.
- Bake at 375°F/190°C/170°fan degrees for 15 minutes. Take loaves out of tin and allow to cool on cooling rack. Drizzle icing after loaf has cooled (I used an icing bag but not necessary).
Baking time: 35-45 min
- Mix: sugar and lemon juice, add vanilla, and vanilla beans.
- Mix well until smooth, add a few drops of water if necessary
Eat immediately or store in an airtight container [Editor's note: I can confirm that even if you put these in an airtight container they will be eaten immediately, as we did at The Sports Edit HQ this week. Thanks Joe!].